



ENVIRECOVER COMMUNITY LIAISON GROUP (CLG)

Minutes (No. 15)

Monday 10th July 2017

Attendees

Caroline Macdonald (CM) – Managing Director, OggaDoon
Paddy Kelly (PK) – General Manager, EnviRecover, Severn Waste Services
Cllr Nigel Dowty (ND) – Local Member, Wychavon District Council and CLG Chair
Sarah Dennis (SD) – Environment Agency
Peter Townley (PT) - Representing Hartlebury Parish Council
Graham Hipkins - Representing Hartlebury Parish Council
Will York (WY) – Maintenance Manager, EnviRecover, Severn Waste Services
Richard Woodward (RW) – Waste Services Manager, Worcestershire County Council
Fernando Capelestegui (FC) – Operations Director, Severn Waste Services / FCC
Will Campbell – EA observing

Apologies

Mark Lane (ML) – Monitoring Officer, Planning, Worcestershire County Council
Mark Bishop (MB) – Planning Development Control Manager, Worcestershire County
Steven Aldridge (SA) – Planning, Worcestershire County Council
Kate Stott (KS) – Education Officer, Severn Waste Services
Judy Goodman – Chair of Ombersley and Doverdale Parish Council

Standing invitation

Nicolas Wright (NW) Clerk to Elmley Lovett Parish Council
James Homer (JH) – Chairman of Elmley Lovett Parish Council
John Jordan (JJ) – Clerk to Ombersley and Doverdale Parish Council

Invited but no response

Phil Merrick (PM) – Head of Community Services, Wychavon District Council

1. Welcome and Introductions

2. Actions from last meeting

PT: Going back the flue gas levels and amounts question. The Fichtner/HZI answer doesn't answer what I was asking. It refers to 160,000 cubic metres, whereas it is 131,000 in the EA public report – are we talking about two different facilities to a degree? Is the EA report based on a model and the one in HZI document about the real thing?

PK: I can take the question to Fichtner or HZI to get your answer.

PT: In other minutes, it states that the 160,000 dry corrected figure at the point it exits the boiler, I assume that figure is the one used in EA permit application?

SD: The EA report uses figures based on some modelling at the time, we need to go back to the people who wrote it at the time.

PT: It's not using the capital M metres cubed – I am want to know dry gas volume for this facility?

ACTION: PT to submit question to PK about this in order to gain the needed response.

3. Update on EnviRecover – from Paddy Kelly

PK: The facility is operating very well; May and June good months in terms of availability and throughput. Operations wise, we had three incidents of note:

1. We had facility failure on ACC fan number 4: one of blades sheared off and damaged other blades; this has now been changed. The manufacturer has been out to us and assessed the situation. It seems there is material failure caused by incorrect design so they are now redesigning and intending to replace all during the planned outage in September
2. Last week, an ash discharger blockage caused by tree stump with complete roots; the team resolved the situation and handled it well.
3. With the Royal opening, feedback has been positive and the only negative piece was the report from Eve on HPC website.

PT: How much electricity has been exported?

PK: 11,200 MW in June, 11,312 MW in May.

PT: Did you lose many hours?

PK: We lost a few here and there but nothing of note: planned maintenance on WPD network and the tree issue. We are not doing badly at all.

PT: With the waste itself here, what percentage is from the two counties?

PK: 90% is from Herefordshire & Worcestershire with top ups from different FCC sites.

PT: There was always a shortfall to begin with anyway. Is there much waste from HHWRCs?

PK: We are taking in from HHWRCs (not envisioned in model).

PT: The bulk is from kerbside collections.

PK: Yes, almost exclusively. We are taking some rejects from EnviroSort. The waste is pretty good here. The design calorific value is 9.4 MJ/kg; the waste we are receiving is between 8.9-10 MJ/kg, that's pretty consistent. We will have a full waste analysis by a third party next week: they take 500 kg sample, manually sort into constituent parts to categorise the waste and to calculate calorific value.

GH: Parishioners are asking questions about the operations of the facility itself generally about the major issues such as the stack, noise, and general about questions about pollution. It's difficult to answer because lack of understanding. Give them more information from a Severn/Mercia perspective otherwise the locals are making assumptions. It would be helpful to answer the questions fairly quickly, especially if we are waiting on minutes; this could leave room for doubts by the locals. They want to know and understand what the operation is and going forward, whether there is any impact.

FC: If you send in the list of questions, the representatives can come in and talk them through with PK.

PK: Emailed enquiries are answered in day or two of receipt.

Action: CM/KS/PK to develop FAQs and update the website

GH: It's also a way to get good feedback.

PT: I'm not sure what the Comment about mis-information was. Could we have an information sheet on 'What we do'?

Action: GH to send questions through then have a session with PK

GH: About the waste pit and the odours – is it sanitised in some shape or form or vented off?

PK: There is a fixed deodoriser system fitted in the bunker.

ND: One night last week there was a loud noise coming from the site, I came to the entrance to see what was happening and got access to the control room team.

Can I give control room number or email address?

PK: The email address please because it is written and recorded; you (ND) have the number for a reason as Councillor and resident.

ND: It was almost as bad as the commissioning phase.

PT: I'm in a different direction and whenever there is some bad noise, it's assumed it is from here but it's not, it's the back of the brickworks.

PK: There have been low frequency hum complaints and it sounds like it's from the Trading Estate but we can't say where.

ND: Worcester Regulatory Service are doing a lot of testing round the brickworks and are currently concluding their investigations.

PK: Were you here Thursday/Friday as we were on the steam bypass?

ND: No.

PT: Are the fans fixed or variable?

PK: They are variable; when it is hotter weather they are quicker. I've walked round with the trading estate manager and we detected noise coming from the sewerage pump at the sewerage site and the Monosol ventilation system. We are doing more noise monitoring.

PK: We have CCTV trained on top of the stack. This is linked to a monitor in the Control Room and records 24/7. The burners shouldn't cause dis-colouration. There are some interesting quirks being sat in the valley, as the sun gets behind the stack and it shows a darker colour especially up from the road by-pass. The CCTV allows us to check if people say date/time that they think a plume is occurring.

GH: On Tuesday mornings, there is a cafe in the parish hall, people having a chivvy and EnviRecover is a topic.

PK: We could go along to chat to people there about the facility.

Action: PK to attend café

PK: We have an open day for members of trading estate tomorrow with 17 acceptances thus far. There will be a presentation, tour and buffet. We also have plans for the general public to come to see the facility. Now that the official opening is done, we are focusing on the education centre: KS is looking to bring school groups, colleges and universities. We can look at doing an open day for local residents, if tomorrow goes well, that is specific to them.

GH: What do you consider to be your sphere of influence – are there certain parameters?

PK: Generally the guys closest to Trading Estate (and their tenants) and boundary; if you can see it you worry about it. We do need some control over visitor numbers.

GH: It would be helpful if there was more than one open day.

PK: Perhaps we can organise through the CLG?

ND: And parish council.

GT: We can provide dates and then Severn Waste will table the suitable dates to take account of planned outages, other commitments and availability of sufficient staff.

PK: Please give us idea on level of interest and potential numbers.

Action: HPC to provide interest indicator

We can look at August and perhaps later in October.

ND: 19th August is the copy date for the local parish magazine, we need to get the date in October in that edition.

PT: In previous minutes, it states that there is a steam vent in the roof to depressurise the boiler - is it baffled or silenced?

PK: There is a silencer and water sprays on it.

PT: Is the 60 day reliability complete?

PK: Yes, it went well.

PT: When can we see an Annual Report – February?

SD: We agreed this year that as last year was mostly commissioning we wouldn't complete our Annual Report until next year so as not to produce distorted data. The Report will be done by end of January 2018.

PT: Will it include graphs of emissions over the year etc. and there will be one, publicly available?

SD: Yes, it is available on the public register – you can email a request.

GH: Do you get a direct link in terms of emissions reporting?

PK: No, the Continuous Emissions Monitoring System is a standalone unit, with full backup. It is made by a company called CBISS based in Birkenhead. As the operator, we can run reports on the CBISS software but we don't have any access or ability to change data. The system generates the monthly reports that we submit to the EA; if there is any breach it is flagged up straight away. We've got the most advanced combustion control system in the UK.

PT: The by-pass system is now lagged so not creating noise?

PK: Yes but we need to monitor it due to the recent audible noise. Next time we are on it, I will let you know to see if you can hear it.

Action: PK to share WPD outage dates

4. Feedback from Severn Waste Services

PK: Complaint from ND about the recent noise issue, two low frequency hums and odour complaints on southern boundary from two neighbours. We've changed the ventilation and raised deodorising level. On the formal open day, we had to hold trucks in due to Duke of Gloucester visit which gave rise to the odour. We are getting blamed for sewerage farm smells – different class of odour altogether. With regard to the low frequency noise, I don't think caused by us but we have noise monitoring scheduled which should hopefully help to identify the source.

5. Next meeting

16th October 2017

6. AOB

ND: Can I ask when the website is being updated?

CM: We are in the process of developing a brief and tendering for a new modern website.

ND: Can we get a quicker turnaround for the minutes?

CM: Yes, there was a delay last time due to the level of work the official opening produced.

ND: The parish council website has also been taken down for refresh etc. it needs a clean up of information so there is currently a holding message. There are changes in HPC with a few resignations. The new Council has a desire to communicate and engage more objectively and will decide and agree which councillors coming along to replace Eve and Sheridan.

GH: We also have a question on how we report back to them and we want some Terms of Reference.

PT: What's the latest on the graphs for monthly emissions?

PK: May's graph was slow to be uploaded due to the Royal Opening, June's will be shortly uploaded.

ND: I'd like to confirm that the Chairman names O&DDPC on the CLG list has changed.

CM: Yes.

PT: I have a letter from the Welshs on end of Walton Road on 2nd July writing about the noise.

PK: New Home Farm came through enquiries about low frequency hum, which was responded to. One enquiry has come through the estate office - all dealt with.

PT: I will check with the Welshs to see if they want it can be passed on.